1. Get started with the API
- How to use the Music Story Pro API ?
- How to start developing ?
- Why do I need API keys ?
- What to do if I have problems with the API ?
You will find a complete documentation on the use of our API in the documentation section of the website. A testing tool is at your disposal allowing you to directly make your request by choosing its settings and to test the response. Warning : it can only be used once you are connected.
These are strictly personal keys that allow you to identify yourself in order to open an API user session. We provide you with two keys : the consumer key and the consumer secret key.
As soon as you subscribe, you will benefit from a basic assistance via e-mail or our forum. You will then be able to benefit from a quicker and dedicated support. We refer you to our offer description.
- What is a commercial or a non commercial-use ?
- Can I freely publish any content from the API?
- What are my responsibilities as a user ?
3. API response
- In which format do I retrieve the results of my queries ?
- May I filter the results of my queries ?
- I get no response from the API, what to do ?
- I get an error code, what does it means ?
We put at your disposal the JSON and XML formats, to specify the type of answer you wish, we refer you to the documentation.
Yes. You can filter all of your results by specifying a value desired on whatever concerned subject field. A research is done in a similar fashion. An answer is limited by 100 subjects by page. To know more about this, we refer you to the documentation.
The description of the error codes is available in the general documentation.
4. Quotas & restrictions
- How to know my number of remaining queries ?
- What is an item ?
- I have exceeded the limits of my subscription, what to do ?
- The API's response time seems too long, what is the reason ?
- Am I banned ?
Log in and visit your personnal space, you have a live access to all the API statistics concerning you.
An item is an editorial data subject to broadcasting rights. There are biographies, album previews, news, some data (an artist's real name for example) and part of the pictures which are produced or acquired by Music Story.
The limits are reset the 1st of every month. You have to either wait for the next month or apply to another subscription which will allow you to extend your possibilities.
The API limits the number of requests by second for a user. If however, you consider that the response delay overextends this restriction, please contact the assistance desk.
5. Music Story Pro metadata
- What is the difference between album and release ?
- What is the difference between a track, a recording and a work ?
- Can the Music Story API be substituted for its partners' or the social networks' API
- May I have access to all metadata ?
- Are there other features I should know about ?
A release refers to a product identified by its EAN, in digital or physical format, which corresponds to an edition of an album. An album is a coherent gathering of several editions matching the general public's understanding of what is an album.
For example : Daft Punk's album Random Access Memories gathers every corresponding releases (EAN products).
A track is an element of the list of tracks from a release. A recording is a file identified by an ISRC code and it can correspond to several tracks. A work is identified by its ISWC (or COCV) or in the sense of edition rights. A work often leads to several recordings (different interpretations, re-recordings...)
No. The API doesn't issue partner metadata, nor data belonging to social networks. It provides an efficient means of linking artists, album edition, Music Story tracks to their equivalent on another platform, or between platforms, which allows you then to use other APIs at your disposal.
Yes. However, depending on your type of account, you can be limited in the number of requests, or in the number of items, depending on the type of data. These limitations, and your requests or available subjects are displayed in your personnal space. In order to enjoy a less restricted access, please refer to our offer descritption.
None, the API Music Story is easily accessible and intuitive. The complete documentation is here to help you.